Singapore Sports School Beat Selangor Combined Schools To Win Challenge Cup

Aaron Chan
Writer / Editor
The Unofficial S.League Podcast

Christina Seah-Rodrigues
The Unofficial S.League Podcast

Spectators who attended the curtain opener of The Sultan of Selangor's Cup (TSSC) managed to get a glimpse of Singapore's future football stars when they witnessed Singapore Sports School beating Selangor Combined Schools to win the inaugural Singapore - Selangor Schools Challenge Cup last Saturday.

The match went into penalties after it finished 1-1 at the end of regulation time and Singapore Sports School had custodian Wilson Lim to thank after he jumped the right way to deny Noor Ezuwan Marhakim during the shootout, paving the way for Nur Adam Abdullah to blast the ball into the roof of the net and to add another successful record into Singapore's football annals.

Playing in front of such a big crowd for the first time, the early nerves might have gotten to the Singapore Sports School players when Kenneth Chew somehow fluffed his shot over the Selangor crossbar in the 12th minute after Ashley Yong teed him up perfectly with a brilliant low cross.

The Selangor Combined Schools squad were given another scare two minutes later when Marc Ryan Tan disposessed Syahkir Razali in the Selangor half and threaded a fantastic through ball to Chew but the winger could not get a clean strike of the ball and sent it wide of the post.

The misses would prove costly as Selangor sprang to life in the 17th minute, playing a few magnificent passes to tear the Singapore Sports School defence apart before Faris Kamardin capped off the move by cutting past Nur Adam to let fly with a screamer that bulged the Singapore net.

Christian Chiang then impressed the crowd by speeding down the flank five minutes later to send it a beautiful cross for Tan, who glanced it narrowly wide.

With the match played in two 25 minute halves, referee Abirami Naidu blew for half-time shortly after and Singapore Sports School brought on Fathullah Rahmat and Sahffee Jubpre at the break.

Sahffee would only need six minutes to make an impact as he tapped home from a Singapore free kick delivery to equalise.

The goal restored Singapore's self-belief and Tan should had sealed off the game when Elijah Lim found him in space with a terrific lofted pass but the striker blasted it straight at Zunnurain Nor Sham. 

The eagle-eyed Sahffee nearly got his second goal of the evening when he spotted Zunnurain coming off his line two minutes later but he went for too much power behind his lob and could only place his hands on his head when the ball sailed past the crossbar. 

Harhys Stewart had another golden opportunity to end the match in regulation time when he timed his run perfectly to meet Abdul Rasaq's cross but he somehow managed to poke it over from close distance six minutes from time.

The match had to be decided from the best of three penalties and Singapore Sports School managed to score all three of their attempts, while Noor Ezuwan would be downhearted to go down as the first player to miss a penalty in record of the Singapore - Selangor Schools Challenge Cup.

Full-Time at Singapore Sports Hub:
Singapore - Selangor Schools Challenge Cup (6 May 2017):

Singapore Sports School - 1
Selangor Combined Schools - 1
(Singapore Sports School win 3-2 on penalties)


Singapore Sports School - Sahffee Jubpre 31'
Selangor Combined Schools - Faris Kamardin 17'

Penalty Shootout:

Player Name / Team
Scored / Missed
Adam Farhan (SEL)
SEL Scored
SIN 0 – 1 SEL
Ryaan Sanizal (SIN)
SIN Scored
SIN 1 – 1 SEL
Noor Ezuwan Marhakim (SEL)
SEL Missed
SIN 1 – 1 SEL
Abdul Rasaq (SIN)
SIN Scored
SIN 2 – 1 SEL
Vinod Veerasingam (SEL)
SEL Scored
SIN 2 – 2 SEL
Nur Adam Abdullah (SIN)
SIN Scored
SIN 3 – 2 SEL

All copyrights © 2017 are attributed to the respective contributors above.